Elderly Bathing and Personal Hygiene Tips and Tricks
For caregivers as well as their aging family member, personal care time is physically and emotionally very tiring. The physical act of offering care is exhausting as it needs lifting and transferring. Also, it can be psychological exhausting. Aging parents are normally sad and embarrassed so an adult child should provide them a bath and dress them.
Are you struggling to get the way to handle the personal care requirements for an older adult you love, here are some advice as well as tips to assist you.
1. You should settle a bath schedule that meets all their requirements.
Many of use like a daily shower before going to work, this isn’t necessary for the elderly ones. What they require is a daily sponge bath and a full bath or shower three times a week. Many senior home care centres, such as, senior home care Vancouver, will do this for you.
2. You should create a peaceful environment, during the bathing time.
Music might assist to calm the elderly. Set up an app such as iHeart Radio or Pandora on your tablet or smart phone. Both will permit you to customize a station that will play classical music, birds or waterfall sounds during bathing. Any music that is enjoyed by the family members may assist to distract and soothe the elderly.
3. To assist in reducing embarrassment, keep the talk natural and relaxed.
You should maintain a casual environment so as to redirect their attention away from sadness and embarrassment they might feel.
4. Remember to permit your loved one to sustain their self-care.
It may take them long; however, it is significant apart of sustaining independence. Very simplified grooming process may make thing very manageable for the elderly.
5. You shouldn’t neglect safety issues in the bathroom.
Ensure that there aren’t any throw rugs that might create a fall risk, the grab bars should be safely installed, and you should check the water temperature before an elderly gets into the shower or tub. Avoid adding slippery oils or bubbles to bath water. They create a fail risk or make it hard to hold the elderly while assisting them out of the shower or tub.
6. Have their towel as well as cloths ready to wear instantly when they get out of the shower or tub.
This will assist protect their modesty as well as prevent them from getting cold.
7. Adaptive equipment makes grooming and bathing safer.
8. You should prepare their bathing water before you bring them into the bathroom to assist reduce agitation.
Elderly people with Alzheimer’s disease are afraid of water and mainly the sound of running water.
9. Don’t neglect dental care.
This is the area where the elderly can sustain longer with least support. Routine dental care includes visiting a dentist regularly as oral health is significant because it has been linked to prevention of heart diseases.
Finally, you should remember not to be very hard with your loved ones or yourself. This is a complicated situation for the both of you. Try to maintain a positive attitude, to the elderly and to sustain your sense of humor. This will assist the elderly to do the same.